Fire on the 4th of July
July 4th-5th 2020
1 Day Workshop with overnight included.
Fire on the fourth
You have seen it in movies, watched it on TV and read about it in books. This class is all about mastering fire. Many experts put fire making amongst the top skills that should be learned by outdoor enthusiasts. There are few things that hold fast in the memory as well as a night spent by the fire telling stories and sharing food.
1. Fire safety
2. Fire construction in all weather
3. Using fire to stay comfortable in the worst of conditions
4. Mastering your lighter and using it frozen, wet, empty or broken
5. Flint and steel: making fire like a mountain man
6. Mastering the ferro rod like the special forces from around the world
7. How to make a foolproof bow drill kit from common items you can find in your basement, shed or around the house. Then we will show you how to make a bow drill fire using foolproof techniques.
WHO IS THIS CLASS FOR?
This is a great project for anyone who wants to join the exclusive club of people who can make fire anytime and anywhere.
These skills can be used by anyone living in urban, suburban or rural areas. This course can easily include responsible kids 10+ years old and is great for parents, caregivers, scout masters, outdoor enthusiasts and anyone who or anyone who just thinks fire is cool, and making fire from sticks is even cooler.
Minimum Gear Needed:
We will not provide you with any gear, so please come prepared.
Overnight camping gear to include shelter and sleeping bag.
Fixed Blade Full Tang Knife (WITHOUT a Serrated edge)
Food (Plenty of time will be given to prepare meals on site)
Flashlight or headlamp
Outdoor clothing, boots, and wet weather gear
Check Recommended Items List for more details!
Food and Water:
Water will be provided but you will need to provide your own food of your choice. We recommend quick field expedient meals such as freeze dried meals or MRE’s. They can quickly be made at our primitive camps and won’t slow down the learning process. You can also purchase food locally once you get here. Grocery Stores and several local eateries are within a reasonable driving distance.
Length: 1 days/1 nights
Instructor: Aaron "Hutch" Hutchings